ERYT- 500, RCYT, B.S.ED.,YOGA TEACHER, CO-GROUNDER
I am grounded in compassion and elevated in absurdity, and am dedicated to connecting children to the power of a seriously playful yoga practice. Working in schools and playing with words, I discovered that students were far more connected to their daily lessons when they felt not only heard, but understood. Seen. Connected. Grounded.
I’ll connect you with some facts because I know you may want to get grounded in our teaching methodology.
- My teaching journey began in the public elementary schools in Atlanta, where I worked as a classroom teacher, reading specialist, and curriculum coordinator for 11 years.
- Every 11 years something profound happened in my life~ at age 11 I knew without a doubt I wanted to be a teacher, at 22 I began teaching in Fulton County Schools and taught for 11 years until at 33 I became pregnant with triplets. At 44 Anusara School of Yoga certified me and I brought the teachings into Grounded. I can’t wait to see what happens at 55.
- I was born on June 11th and feel so fortunate to have met my Libra balanced business partner, Amy who was born on October 11th. She is as compassionate and smart as they come.
- Our Grounded methodology is created around the number 11~ it’s a number of mastery and we want the children to be masters of their own destiny.
- I create curriculum for Grounded Kids, teach yoga to kids in the public schools, teach in the studio at Decatur Yoga and Pilates, and lead teacher trainings internationally.
- I have my own children’s yoga show called Yippee Ki-Yay Namaste where I get to teach with my beloved students from Fernbank Elementary.
- I consider Dr. Seuss one of my master teachers and I love fusing his work with yoga sutras. Fusing universally loved children’s books with yoga teachings gives me a map towards becoming more inner literate.
- My teenage triplet daughters broaden and deepen my inner landscape~ particularly the state of Love…and Patience…and Humility.
- I see the state of Joy that yoga brings to all sorts of people, from three-year-old children to men who are homeless. Each of these populations has a lot to teach each other about the universal truths that can help us all be our best selves. That’s why I tune into the people I teach, and share their wisdom with my many different populations.
- I’ve learned how to learn from my students, and even though I certify many of them to teach, they in turn certify me to be more aware and more reflective.
- I’m dedicated to supporting and affirming our elevated Grounded Teachers.
- My husband is the most “yogic” person I know even though he outwardly practices at a studio once or twice a month. He is honest, genuine, hilarious and will do anything for anyone.
- I’m certified to teach Anusara, Kundalini, Correlation Vinyasa, Hot Core Power, YogaKids, and of course, Laughter Yoga.
- I am great and grateful to have trained under Marsha Wenig, John Friend, Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa, Gina Minyard, Desiree Rumbaugh, Christina Sell and Paul Muller-Ortega and I continue to study with whole-hearted teachers.
I work on grounding into my own heart, so I can uplift and elevate all those I come into contact with. I find that by asking “Are you safe? Are you sound? Are you whole? Are you well?” I can help students of all ages and abilities find the grounding they need to truly soar.
Lee began her teaching career in 2007 when she when she combined her love for children, music, and movement. She is inspired to teach children to learn through a multitude of activities that include yoga and mindfulness. She believes every child is special, and that an early love for learning is important. As the mother of two strong girls, she values the importance of instilling a healthy lifestyle early on. She is a 200 Hour E-RYT, RPYT, and RCYT with the Grounded Kids Yoga program, all recognized through Yoga Alliance. She was a lead teacher and manager at Kidz Play Here in Concord for 6 years, where she taught multiple classes including Preschool, Kindermusik, Kids Fitness, Yoga, and Hula Hoop. She has worked with corporate clients to implement Yoga as part of their Health & Wellness programs. She taught Yoga and Music at Countryside Montessori School for 2 years, and is now co-teaching K-5 Yoga as a curriculum at Corvian Community School.
Sedef is an E-RYT 200, RCYT and co-creator of Pre-Grounded Yoga for ages 3-6. She has been practicing yoga for over twenty years and teaching since 1999. She completed her 200 hour RYT in Hatha yoga at Peachtree Yoga Center and since earned Kundalini Yoga certification under the guidance of her teacher Mukta Kaur Khalsa studying Yogi Bhajan’s teachings. She is a Yoga Alliance member as well as Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association (IKYTA). Sedef’s personal yoga style is an integration of the various types of yoga that she has studied and practiced. She believes that yoga is a way of life that brings peace of mind, physical strength, health, vitality, and enhances spirituality. Her classes reflect her dedication of maintaining the sacred integrity of yoga and her heart felt commitment to enjoying the practice on and off the mat. Sedef is a certified Laughter Yoga Leader as well as YogaKids and Radiant Child. She is also a certified Grounded Yoga Teacher, which qualifies her to teach yoga to Elementary, Middle and High School aged kids. Sedef teaches classes, workshops, special events and specializes in teaching Step 2: Pre-Grounded and Special Needs Training.
My desire to validate and nurture the innate goodness, unique potential and emotional intelligence of a child, no matter what, sparked the creation of Grounded Kids Yoga and fuels my dedication to teaching, supporting and empowering Grounded Teachers during training and beyond. I value clarity, creativity, collaboration and continual evolution. Here are some specific and quirky details for a glimpse into who I am.
- In first grade I decided to become a teacher because I loved my teacher’s clothes, the artistry involved in putting up bulletin boards and how I felt when she said she saw sparkles in my eyes.
- The first poem I ever wrote was about a rock and was inspired by my fervent disagreement with the saying about sticks and stones breaking bones but words never hurting.
- I learned the lesson about bigger and more expensive not being better when, at 8 years old, I spent my “responsibility chart” earnings on a Yorkie and my sister picked a horse.
- I believe children don’t give parents and teachers a hard time but rather, before, during and after having a hard time, need to be shown how to skillfully navigate life.
- I adored teaching Middle Schoolers and thrived when training college students during their practicum but still chose to leave the classroom to raise my two boys and earn a Masters degree with every intention of returning after a few years.
- After a few years I was head over heels for yoga, certified and working as a trainer, mentor coordinator, program director and curriculum developer for YogaKids. Additionally, my E-RYT training includes Radiant Child, Laughter Yoga and Anusara.
- I’m a Libra born on the 11th who thanks my lucky stars for meeting Cheryl Crawford, born on a different 11th, who in all her Gemini glory, is the most seriously playful, ridiculously smart business partner in the whole world.
- Eleven is the number of Mastery and that is the energy from which Grounded’s philosophy and methodology for teaching children yoga and training others to do the same was developed and continues to grow.
- My partner in life is an expansively trained, phenomenal yoga teacher who not only keeps me on my toes but also inspired and co-created Pre-Grounded and our training for Special Needs.
- I resonate with the yogic teaching of The 5 Elements more than any other yoga philosophy I’ve ever studied and it has greatly influenced my personal and professional life.
- I feel that we can only truly teach what we have lived – otherwise it’s called instructing.
Felicia began teaching a group of Special Needs kids while in High School and remembered this joy as her career calling. She received her Master of Education degree and taught for eight years in public schools, as a classroom teacher, a nursery school teacher and for four years as the School-wide Enrichment Specialist and Academically Gifted Education teacher in two middle schools. While she took leave to raise her two sons, she trained in and taught yoga. Through her sons, she continued to seek mindful approaches to education that enabled kids to hold themselves with courage, care and confidence. Needless to say, finding Grounded Kids Teacher Training and the Yoga/Mindfulness in the Schools Movement in 2013 was the most exciting discovery on her journey. Continually training, Felicia has led after school yoga clubs, kids/teens studio yoga classes and professional development workshops for educators, taught for the Newark Yoga Movement and is now employed as the Faculty Yoga Instructor at The Quaker School at Horsham, a school for Special Needs children grades 1-8. Her passion for teaching others these brilliant and effective grounding and elevating techniques comes from a deep heartfelt desire for all beings to live with joy, embrace the core of their unique gifts and potential. This type of content does not only enrich but overlays a healthy “core curriculum.”
Felicia is grateful for her teachers and for all teachers that serve the world with their hearts forward. She is most grateful for her students of all ages and the Grounded Kids Yoga Curriculum that inspires authenticity, laughter, creativity and love into her living and her life.
Heather is a 200hr ERYT, RCYT and RPYT and has been sharing her love for fitness and wellness with children since the birth of her second daughter in 2007. A Certified Personal Triainer, Children’s Fitness Specialist, and Certified Grounded Teacher, she believes that an integrated and joyful pursuit of health is the key to a child’s happiness, positive self esteem, and promise for a long life full of possibility. Heather helped to pioneer the Grounded Yoga Program at Countryside Montessori School and currently co-teaches the K-5th Yoga Curriculum at Corvian Community School. She also teaches adult Power Vinyasa and Prenatal Yoga classes at Yoga One in Charlotte, NC, where she is working toward her Baptiste Yoga Teacher Certification.
Margaret Maurice is a Certified Grounded Yoga Teacher Trainer. In this role, she trains and supports new and seasoned grounded teachers alike. This position brings together her passion and experience as a music educator, where she integrates Grounded Yoga and movement into her classroom, as well as her previous roles in teacher leadership and administration. In addition to teaching music, she currently teaches Grounded and pre-Grounded Yoga classes in Charlotte, NC.
When Margaret isn’t teaching, you may find her next to your mat! She considers herself a perpetual student and enjoys learning from many different teachers, styles, forms and schools of thought. She enjoys deep study, making connections and learning from the students and teachers in her life. Margaret is open to where the journey will take her and smiling along the way!